Friday, August 28, 2009

MY 20 FAVORITE MOVIES

One of the best things that ever happened to me as a film student is that I've become aware that there are a lot of great films all over the world all over the time movies have been made, more than the OSCAR winning movies that are famous in our country. I actually have a list of my top 100 favorite films but as of now I will resort to giving only TWENTY. I am very much looking forward to seeing more films that will inspire me not just as a film student, or a film enthusiast, or a young film critic (as all of us can be) but even more as a simple viewer, a simple person.

20. The Mist (Frank Darabont/2007/USA)



19. Memoirs of a Geisha (Rob Marshall/2005/USA)



18..  The Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont/1994/USA)



 17. Goodbye Lenin (Wolfgang Becker/2003/Germany)




16. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Peter Jackson /2003/USA)



15.. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy/1964/France)



14.. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa/1950/Japan)


13. Joint Security Area (Park Chan-Wook/2000/SouthKorea)


12. Babel (Alejandro Gonzales-Inarritu/2006/USA,Japan,Mexico,Morocco)



11. Maynila sa mga Kuko ng Liwanag (Lino Brocka/1975/Philippines)


10. Finding Neverland (Marc Forster/2004/USA)



9.. Taeguk-Gi (Kang Je-gyu/2005/South Korea)


 8. I Saw the Sun (Mahsun Kirmizigul/2009/Turkey)





7. Amelie (Jean Pierre-Jeunet/2001/France)



6. A Beautiful Mind (Ron Howard/2001/USA)




5. Dances with Wolves (Kevin Costner/1990/USA)


4. Love of Siam (Chookiat Sakveerakul/2007/Thailand)



3. Forest Gump (Robert Zemeckis/1994/USA)


2. Departures (Yojiro Takita/2008/Japan)



1. The Bicycle Thief (Vittorio de Sica/1949/Italy)

 I never thought a masterpiece could be this simple yet after watching it for at least two years now I still can't forget how purified I felt after seeing this most heartwarming film ever for me. I love its simplicity. I adore its realism. I commend its earthly atmosphere that even Ang Lee admits. Seeing a film half a millenium ago, halfway around the world, and still feel it bone-deep..it is just amazing.


1 comment:

  1. love your roster of great movies!!da best saken ung forrest gump!!

    ReplyDelete